Sara Wassenaar DDS
Being a dentist has been a blessing to me and to my family. There are very few places in the world that have as much heart, compassion, and love for their community as where we live in central Michigan. Every day, I feel that our doctors and team are able to make a difference in the health and lives of our patients and in some small way bring a smile to their faces. That is why I chose this profession and it has brought me immense joy throughout my career.
My relationships with my patients keep me enthused and remind me every day of why I love dentistry. I treat them like they are family and they know I genuinely care about them as people as well as patients.
Education and Continuing Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Political Science – University of Michigan
- Master of Science in Justice Administration – University of Denver College of Law
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – University of Detroit
- General Practice Residency – Danbury Hospital, Danbury, Connecticut
Continuing education keeps me excited about all the newest technology, techniques, and materials available for our patients and our practice. By continually staying involved in improving my skills and education in dentistry, I am able to provide state-of-the-art treatment to my patients. My mentoring and teaching skills allow me to educate my patients on all the options available for their care and create an optimal plan of care for each individual.
- Spear Education Center for Dental Excellence, Scottsdale, Arizona: I have attended numerous classes in aesthetic and cosmetic dentistry, occlusion, treatment planning, restorative design and materials, and much more. I am also a member of the Spear Faculty Club and serve as Visiting Faculty Member where I mentor and teach other dentists.
- Invisalign®: I am certified at the highest level in Invisalign treatment and have attained the level of Premier Provider. I am also a member of the East Michigan Study Club for general dentists and stay current with all the latest technology Invisalign offers.
- Faculty for Orthodontic Research and Continuing Education: I have completed certification and training for the general practitioner to provide orthodontic treatment for children and teens as a member of the West Michigan FORCE Orthodontic Study Club.
- American Dental Association
- Michigan Dental Association
- Ninth District Dental Association
- Francis B. Vedder Society of Crown and Bridge
- American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry
- Pierre Fauchard Academy
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon Dental Fraternity
About Our Team
Our team is a collection of the best dentistry has to offer. They are committed to always making our patients comfortable at every moment that they spend in our practice. Most of our team members have been with us for years. They take pride in having a positive impact on every patient they meet and continually take continuing education classes to improve their skills and share our philosophy of providing only the best for our patients.
Outside the Office
As a native of Alma, MI, I feel so fortunate to have lived, worked, and raised my family in the wonderful community where I grew up. I have been married to Dr. Frutiger for 28 years and we have raised two wonderful children, Anna and John. We also have a chocolate lab, Toby, who along with our children brings us continual joy. When I am not working, you will find me spending time with my family and friends or involved in community activities. I also love to garden, knit, exercise, and travel.
In the Community
My personal passion is my involvement with the National Blood Clot Alliance and supporting their goal of educating and raising awareness about the risks of blood clots. We have locally organized an event at the Highland Festival in Alma called “Anna’s Team” to raise funds for this non-profit group. More information can be found at www.stoptheclot.org.
I believe the community you live in becomes stronger by giving back to it. Central Michigan is a special place to live and raise a family and it is has been a joy to be involved in a variety of ways. I am a part of the following organizations:
- Keep Alma Beautiful, President and Board Member
- Mid-Michigan Medical Center - Gratiot Board of Trustees
- Women’s Resource Center of Mid-Michigan, Board Member
- National Blood Clot Alliance, Special Events Committee Member
- United Way, Volunteer
- Athena’s of Gratiot County
- First Presbyterian Church of Alma